|Insulated plasterboard below tiles|
The list of solid wall insulation material we have used is varied, reflecting largely the level of disruption and expense we could cope with at the time:
- external side wall of semi, ground and first floor - 100mm Pavatex 'Diffutherm'
- internal walls front and back of the house, ground floor living space - 60mm Pavatex 'Pavadentro'
- internal wall back of the house, first floor bedroom 1 - 70mm Pavatex 'Pavadry'
- internal wall front of the house, first floor bedroom 2 - 4mm Wallrock KV600 thermal liner
- internal wall, first floor bathroom - 10mm expanded polystyrene
One thing I have learned from the gradual eco-renovation of this house is to accept that decisions are made at a particular time, with limited knowledge, limited energy and a limited budget. It is often not possible to choose the best solution in terms of energy saving. Compromise is inevitable. In fact, compromise is probably not the right word, as energy saving is not the only goal. Even for people who are keen to reduce their energy use, there are other priorities, and many practical constraints to choosing the lowest energy solution. As so often in life, a good compromise may be the best we can achieve.